Friday, August 24, 2012

First Page Friday #1

Photobucket
First Page Friday is a new meme hosted by Pen to Paper

Each week I will write out the first page of a favourite book that I've read 
or from a book that I would like to read. Then share my thoughts about page one.

This week I have chosen the first page from Divergent by Veronica Roth.
Photobucket
Blurb from Goodreads:
In a future Chicago, 16-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.

Chapter 1
THERE IS ONE mirror in my house. It is behind a sliding panel in the hallway upstairs. Our faction allows me to stand in front of it on the second day of every third month, the day my mother cuts my hair.
I sit on the stool and my mother stands behind me with the scissors, trimming. The strands fall on the floor in a dull blond ring.
When she finishes, she pulls my hair away from my face and twists it into a knot. I note how calm she looks and how focused she is. She is well-practiced in the art of losing herself. I can't say the same of myself.
I sneak a look at my refection when she isn't paying attention--not for the sake of vanity, but out of curiosity. A lot can happen to a person's appearance in three months.

My Thoughts:
After reading this first page again, it makes me think about how Beatrice's life turns out. I don't want to write any spoilers so I'll just say that I was hooked from the very first page and loved every minute of it! You can find my review for Divergent here.

2 comments:

  1. I really need to read this. My daughter keeps raving about it, but I seem to never get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an AMAZING book!! You're daughter has great taste! :)

      Delete